Awakenings [Alain Merrick, Meta] Jan 31, 2017 18:21:10 GMT -5
Post by Alain Merrick on Jan 31, 2017 18:21:10 GMT -5
Who are you?
Alain Merrick is now a few months removed from graduating the academy. During this time, he has familiarized himself with the Third Division where he now serves as a medic. While he enjoys kaido and is satisfied by his personal advancement with the art, there's much about the division which he dislikes. As a result, he has begun to gather information about the other divisions in the hopes of finding a new home. Due to his divergent interests and a desire to acquire all knowledge, he finds it difficult to remain in any one place for long. This yearning to constantly be on the move is likely tied to his continual search to find a true purpose in his life. Merrick is still largely introverted and maintains little interest in anyone or anything beyond his own goals. However, after waking up in a hospital room multiple times, he has begun to wonder if certain tasks can be completed entirely on his own.
What can you do for Merrick?
Merrick sees himself as weak and ill-prepared to face the greater world outside of Soul Society. Because of these failings, he has tried to remain in Soul Society where can improve his skills in relative safety. This mainly occurs in the form of one on one instruction or self-teaching from books. Perhaps driven by self-preservation or the fear of failure, he has also begun to notice a manipulative streak when interacting with others. He's not always aware when it's happening, but believes that the manipulation allows him to maintain emotional distance from his fellow Shinigami. As for the other races, Alain is still unconcerned with them. However, once he believes he's strong enough to survive potential encounters, they could prove to be a valuable source of information in furthering his ambitions.
I'm looking for people . . .
- (medically-inclined folks) with an interest in a mysterious Rukongai illness and the subsequent investigation.
- with esoteric knowledge (architecture, botany, healing techniques, etc.)
- who are evil or could turn evil while serving as a henchman to a NPC leader (probably need to turn rogue)
- with knowledge of soul siphoning and anything related to the topic
- with knowledge/information about hollows and with a specific hollow power in mind
- inventor types
- to assist with zan spirit communion (and the pursuit of Bankai)
- to provide an emotional connection/someone to trust (not necessarily romantic)
- to help him find his true purpose (perhaps a mentor role)
- friendly rival (likely tied to the mentor)
- who are generally similar to Merrick (personality-wise, etc)
What can Merrick do for you?
As a Shinigami, Alain lacks natural talent in any area. He has to work diligently to improve himself. So he cannot teach and doesn't want the role, but he can appreciate individuals who have experienced the same struggles. Perhaps a hardworking individual with a comparable skill level could grow together with Merrick. Similarly, he has an easier time relating to like-minded individuals. While he may never be an emotionally open person or strongly opinionated about another, if you ask a direct question, you'll likely get a very direct answer.
What Merrick can offer . . .
- an inquisitive and intelligent colleague
- a generally blunt interaction
- all serious, all the time
- a potential ally (requires work)
- one who follows orders and does their duty (but with moral flexibility?)
- an opportunity to alter his introversion and/or make him care about things
- non-combat rival (possible?)
- a primarily neutral figure due to lack of interest outside of himself and his goals
Additional Notes . . .
I'm open to discussing potential thread ideas beyond what is listed here. Similarly, I need to start exploring interaction with other races. I would be looking for individuals of comparable or lower power/skill and my preference is non-combat. While flexible, I hope to tie any threads into something listed above. Send forum or Discord PMs (Alain Merrick #6169) to discuss. Do not post in this thread.